Southall residents have renewed calls for answers from Ealing Council over the relocation of drug and alcohol support services to the former Southall Town Hall following a protest outside the building.
Residents gathered on Saturday (15 August 2026) to demonstrate over the relocation of Recovery Intervention Services Ealing (RISE), with campaigners calling for Ealing Council to meet residents and provide more information about how the decision was made.
Campaigners are also questioning why the service was moved from West Ealing to the former Southall Town Hall rather than elsewhere in Ealing.
A campaign spokesperson said: “A key concern being raised by residents is why the relocation needs to take place in Southall. Residents are questioning whether relocating the service to another location outside Southall should be considered, particularly given the existence of established RISE hubs already serving the Southall community.”
Change Grow Live, which provides RISE services in Ealing, lists a support hub on Northcote Avenue in Southall in addition to the service at the former Southall Town Hall.
RISE, an Ealing Council-commissioned service for adults experiencing problems with drugs and alcohol, was relocated from West Ealing to the former Southall Town Hall in February 2024.
Campaigners say they are not opposed to services supporting people with drug and alcohol problems, but want the council to explain why the former Southall Town Hall was chosen and what consultation took place with residents.
Ahead of Saturday’s protest, the Southall Residents’ Alliance also raised concerns about crime, drug-related anti-social behaviour and public safety, claiming the relocation of RISE had contributed to problems in the area.
Ealing Council disputed any link between the relocation and the problems being reported.
An Ealing Council spokesperson previously told EALING.NEWS: “Southall deserves to be a safe, welcoming place for everyone who lives, works and visits here. We understand why residents and businesses are concerned, particularly about reports of open drug use and intimidation, and we take this seriously. This behaviour is completely unacceptable, and we’re working closely with police to increase patrols, target known hotspots close to South Road and St Joseph’s Drive, and take action against those involved in crime, including drug dealing.
“Services supporting people with drug and alcohol dependency have been part of Southall for many years, and they play an important role in helping people into recovery and reducing harm in our communities. There is no evidence that the current issues are being caused by the relocation of RISE. What we are seeing reflects a more complex picture, including displacement from enforcement activity elsewhere and existing pressures in the area.
“At the same time, we recognise that some people sleeping rough and others facing complex challenges need support. That is why we are bringing together enforcement with compassionate outreach, ensuring that those who need help are supported while those who break the law face the consequences.
“We are increasing CCTV monitoring and on-the-ground patrols, with further targeted police activity planned, while stepping up outreach to move people off the streets and into support. We have listened to residents and businesses, and we will continue to take whatever action is necessary to protect our town centre and ensure Southall remains a place people can be proud of.”


